- ¼ cup (½ stick) Challenge Butter
- 1½ cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic (1½ teaspoons)
- 3 Tablespoons rice (uncooked)
- 4 cups fresh ripe tomatoes (trimmed and quartered); pureed
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ - ¾ cup fresh basil
- 2 cups non-fat milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 6 slices French bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- Pinch red pepper (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until onions are soft and golden. Add garlic and red pepper; sauté for an additional minute. Add pureed tomatoes, sugar, rice, and water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes.
2Add basil and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
3Puree mixture in a blender or food processor and return to saucepan.
4Warm milk (use milk to rinse out blender jar or microwave); slowly stir milk into soup base. Add salt and pepper.
5Heat, ladle into bowls and add toasted bread cubes and top with Parmesan cheese.
!May substitute 2 cans (14.5 – 15 oz.) diced tomatoes and reduce salt by ½ teaspoon.