This twist on classic hummus uses whole sesame seeds instead of tahini, and cream cheese for tang and a luxurious texture.
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Challenge Butter
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup fresh chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 can (15½ oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8 oz) Challenge Cream Cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ cup water
1Toast sesame seeds in a small sauté pan over medium heat until lightly browned. Cool and transfer to a blender or food processor and process into a powder. Remove from blender and set aside.
2Melt butter in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, cumin, coriander and onion and sauté until the onion is soft. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute. Set aside to cool.
3In a blender or food processor, combine garbanzo beans, cream cheese, onion mixture, ground sesame seed powder, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and water. Process until smooth. Serve with pita chips, crackers, or vegetables such as red bell pepper or cucumber slices.