Pumpkin Thyme Macaroni and Cheese
Enjoy a delicious, autumn twist on a classic favorite. It provides over half a serving of vegetables per serving — a perfect balance to an evening of trick-or-treating.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (2 cups), prepared according to package directions
- 8 ounces grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (about 2½ cups)
- 5 Tablespoons Challenge Butter, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 oz) 100% pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or ¼ teaspoon dry whole leaves)
- ½ cup Panko style breadcrumbs
1Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch square glass baking dish.
2Cook macaroni; drain and set aside.
3Grate cheese; reserve ½ cup for topping and set rest aside for sauce.
4Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add red pepper and onions. Sautee onions until limp and slightly brown.
5Blend in flour and cook an additional minute.
6Stir in pumpkin puree, milk, salt and thyme; cook until sauce thickens.
7Stir in 2 cups grated cheese.
8Combine sauce and prepared macaroni; place into prepared baking dish.
9Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and combine with Panko bread crumbs; stir in ½ cup cheese. Sprinkle over top of macaroni mixture.
10Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until surface has browned slightly and sauce begins to bubble.
!You can make the sauce ahead of time and then blend it with cooked macaroni when you're ready. Or, you can assemble this casserole the night before so its ready to bake on a busy evening.