Buttery Lemon-Pepper Kabobs
This aromatic butter-based sauce accents your chicken or fish with fresh citrus and pepper flavor. Brush on frequently to baste grilled kabobs or broiled chicken breasts and fish.
- ¼ cup (½ stick) Challenge Butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon pressed or finely minced garlic
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon grated or finely chopped lemon zest (zest of 1 large lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- metal or wooden skewers
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 1½ lbs firm white fish such as seabass, halibut, or snapper
- red onion, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, and pineapple (optional)
1Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium–high heat.
2Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
3Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper.
4If sauce is prepared ahead of time, refrigerate & reheat when ready to use.
1Preheat the grill to medium heat. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 15 minutes to prevent them from burning too quickly on the grill.
2Cut chicken or fish into one-inch-thick cubes.
3If using other vegetables, such as red onion or bell pepper, cut into one-inch squares. Cherry tomatoes work great and can go on the skewers whole. Cutting fruits such as pineapple in one-inch squares also works well.
4Thread chicken or fish and vegetables evenly onto the skewers. You may choose to do separate vegetable skewers from the chicken or fish since the vegetables tend to cook quicker. Or watch the heat on your grill carefully, and alternate chicken or fish with the vegetables for more attractive skewers.
5Brush skewers on both sides with Buttery Lemon-Pepper Basting Sauce and place on the grill over medium heat. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, brush with basting sauce again, turn and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes until the chicken or fish is cooked through.
6Place chicken skewers on a clean plate and brush with basting sauce again. Serve hot.