Cranberry Pecan Tart with Orange Pastry Crust
We’ve given this Southern specialty a flavor make-over that’s perfect for fall entertaining. It’s everything you love about pecan pie, but with a tart punch of cranberries and a refreshing hint of citrus.
- ½ cup (1 stick) Challenge European Style Butter (salted)
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (1 medium orange)
- 3-4 Tablespoons fresh orange juice (from the same orange)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) Challenge European Style Butter, salted
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (8 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (4 oz.)
1Combine flour and salt in food processor with knife blade attachment and process for about 10 seconds.
2Add cold butter cubes* and orange zest; process by pulsing 8 to 10 times or until most of the butter is about pea-sized. Do not over mix. (*Cut butter in ½-inch cubes and freeze for best results.)
3Add orange juice through food chute with processor running. Add only enough juice to moisten so dough begins to clump.
4Form into a 4-5 inch disk, place in a food storage bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling. The roll out dough on a lightly floured surface, into a 12” round; fit pastry into a 10½-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Freeze crust before filling.
1Preheat oven to 350°F.
2In a large mixing bowl melt butter and combine with cornstarch. Beat in eggs and blend in sugars. Stir in cranberries and ¾ cup of pecans. Pour into frozen prepared tart shell and sprinkle remaining pecans on top.
3Bake 35 -40 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.