- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar (plus 1 teaspoon to top scones if desired)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large hard boiled large eggs, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 Tablespoons Challenge Butter Cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Challenge Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1Preheat oven to 375˚ F.
2Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor bowl with steel blade and blend for 8 seconds.
3Add finely chopped eggs and pulse 10 to 12 times to incorporate.
4Cut butter and lemon zest into flour mixture by pulsing 8 to 10 times until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
5Combine lemon juice and milk and add to mixture. Pulse just until dough is evenly wetted and begins to come together.
6Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface (It will appear somewhat mealy until pressure is applied). Pat into 8-inch circle, approximately ½ to ¾ inch thick. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges (For mini scones pat into two 4-inch circles)
7Place on parchment lined or butter baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with milk and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
8Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve scones warm with lemon butter.
1Combine butter with powdered sugar and lemon zest; beat until creamy. Gradually beat in lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.