- 1 Bone-In Pork Shoulder Blade Roast or Boston Butt (6 to 9 lbs)
- 4 Tablespoons seasoning salt
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ Tablespoon cumin
- 1½ Tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ Tablespoons black pepper
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup Challenge Butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups pure apple juice
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 cup apple or cherry smoker chips (optional)
1Trim excess fat from top, leave bottom fat. Using knife, cut down the fat line on the end of the roast until it lays almost flat.
2Combine apple juice and brown sugar until dissolved. Fill meal injector with mixture and inject meat moving across in 1-inch increments. Discard remaining injection liquid.
3Combine rub ingredients and sprinkle liberally all over. Let meat rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
4Preheat one grill zone, opposite from side you will be cooking on, to 250-275 degrees. Add 1 cup of smoker chips in aluminum foil pouch to direct heat side or directly in the coals if using charcoal.
5Place meat on grill grate with fat cap up. Cook until internal meat temperature reaches 150 degrees.
6Remove and place meat on two layers of heavy duty foil ( 30 inches long). Coat with honey and brown sugar until completely covered. Place butter on top of meat and wrap in foil, sealing all edges. Place in metal pan and return to grill.
7Cook until internal meat temperature is 205-210 degrees. Remove and let rest in sealed foil for 1 hour.
8Shred meat, removing unwanted fat and cover in sauce.