- 1 (3-4 pound) chuck roast
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) Unsalted Challenge Butter, cut into pieces
- 1 (1 ounce package) of your favorite dry buttermilk dressing mix (dry Italian dressing mix can be substituted)
- 1 (1 ounce package) dry aus jus gravy mix (French onion soup mix can be substituted)
- 6-8 whole Pepperoncini or ½ cup of sliced, plus ½ cup of juice from jar
- 1½ pounds baby potatoes or medium-sized red potatoes
1Slow Cooker Instructions: Place roast in the bottom of a slow cooker and add pepperoncini juice. Sprinkle roast with ranch mix and aus jus gravy mix. Top with pepperoncini and pieces of butter. If time allows, our preferred method for a tender, buttery roast is to cook on low for 8-10 hours or until fork-tender. You can also cook on high for 4-6 hours for a quicker option.
2Oven Instructions: Place roast into a Dutch oven or a covered oven-proof roasting pan and add pepperoncini juice. Sprinkle roast with ranch mix and aus jus gravy mix. Top with pepperoncini and pieces of butter. Cover and bake at 225 degrees, for 8-9 hours or until fork-tender.
3During the last 2 hours of cook time, add 1½ pounds of baby potatoes, or medium-sized red potatoes cut in half, along with one pound of baby carrots to your slow cooker or roasting pan.
4If a thicker gravy is desired, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Whisk until well-combined and smooth. Remove all liquid from the slow cooker or roasting pan, and place into a saucepan on the stove. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the meat juices and bring to a boil while constantly stirring or whisking until thickened and velvety smooth. Reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes prior to serving.