Fresh white button mushroom caps brushed with butter and stuffed with a sautéed Panko breadcrumb mixture and Mozzarella cheese topping. Serve as a quick appetizer or tasty side dish.
- 1 pound fresh white button mushrooms (about 24, 1½ to 2-inch diameter)
- 5 Tablespoons Challenge Butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon pressed or finely minced fresh garlic
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or Italian Cheese Blend)
- salt and pepper to taste
1Preheat oven to 425°F.
2Clean mushrooms and pat dry.
3Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop stems and set aside.
4Add butter to small sauté pan over medium-high heat. When butter liquefies, brush the tops of the mushroom caps and place them topside down on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
5Sauté onions, chopped mushroom stems and garlic in remaining butter, until moisture is reduced and onions begin to brown. Let cool slightly.
6Remove from heat and stir in Panko breadcrumbs and then shredded cheese. Fill mushroom caps.
7Bake 10 to 12 minutes.