Skip the restaurant and make this classic Indian dish in no time at all in the comfort of your own home. This modern Indian curry dish is made with chicken that is cooked until tender, in a buttery tomato sauce. By using an instant pressure pot, there is no need to marinate the chicken ahead of time. Another advantage is that the chicken has so much flavor you can skip browning the chicken, it will be delicious and tender just by using this method. Ready in only 30 minutes from start to finish, this Butter Chicken is extraordinary with a rich, fragrant, creamy sauce and a fantastic blend of spices.
- This recipe calls for chicken breast, but you can easily substitute chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Honestly, this recipe has a very mild taste, even with the jalapenos. If you prefer a higher heat and spice level, you can add ½ to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, or swap out the jalapenos for serrano peppers.
- Don’t be tempted to skip making the naan bread to serve with this dish. You will really be amazed at how easy it is to make. You can thank us later.
- Make your basmati rice ahead of time, or while this recipe is cooking. To make things even easier, buy pre-cooked rice from the rice aisle or freezer section at your local grocery store. If you want to go low carb, skip the rice, and opt for cooked broccoli. You can even swap out standard rice for cauliflower rice.
- For an extra special authentic touch, drizzle on some yogurt as a garnish to add some tang and an extra creamy flavor.
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3 large), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika (not smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2-4 teaspoons finely diced jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed
- 4 Tablespoons water, divided
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Challenge Butter, divided
- 1 (15-ounce can) tomato puree (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice, for serving
- Garlic Butter Naan (recipe follows)
1Season the chicken with salt. Stir the garlic, ginger, garam masala, paprika, cumin, turmeric, and jalapeño with 2 Tablespoons water in a small bowl.
2Set an Instant Pressure Pot to sauté on high. When the pot registers it is hot, add 4 Tablespoons of butter and let it melt. Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree and sugar. Turn off the pot.
3Add the chicken to the pot, stirring well to coat with seasoning. Put on and lock the lid; make sure the steam valve is in the sealing position. Set the pot to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. While chicken is cooking, combine the cornstarch with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of water.
4When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to manually release the remaining pressure. Turn off the pot and remove the lid.
5Immediately stir the prepared corn starch mixture into hot sauce with chicken, the sauce will slightly thicken. Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and the heavy cream into the pot. Taste, season with additional salt if needed.
6To serve, place 1 cup of rice in 4 bowls. Divide chicken and sauce among bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro to garnish and serve with Garlic Butter Naan.
15 Minute Garlic Butter Naan Flatbread
Typically, naan or flatbread takes quite a while to make and requires yeast. This recipe uses self-rising flour and takes only 15 minutes to make. Once you make this truly amazing bread, and experience just how delicious and easy it is to make, you will never want to buy naan from a store again. Make it while your Instant Pressure Pot Butter Chicken is cooking for the perfect bread to dip into the flavorful, buttery sauce. So easy, so many possibilities.
- 1 ¾ cups self-rising flour (must be self-rising)
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons Challenge Butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- chopped cilantro, parsley, finely diced green onion for garnish (optional)
1In a large mixing bowl, combine self-rising flour with Greek yogurt. Start by mixing with a spoon, then use your hands to knead the dough until the flour is mixed into the yogurt, and the dough forms a ball. If desired, the dough can also be made in a stand mixer.
2While the dough is in the bowl, flatten slightly, and cut into 8 equal portions like you would a pizza. Roll each section into a ball. Dust lightly with flour if needed to prevent sticking.
3Lightly flour a wooden cutting board or kitchen surface. Place a rolling pin on top of each ball and rock back and forth to create an oval shape, about ¼ inch thick. Repeat the process until you have 8 flatbreads.
4Heat a large pan or griddle on medium heat. When hot, place naan flatbreads on the heated surface and cook for 2-3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip bread over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove and place on a baking sheet. Bread should rise slightly, and have brown spots on the surface when cooked.
5Place butter and garlic in a small bowl. Microwave for about 45 seconds on high or until butter is melted. Brush garlic butter on top of each naan flatbread. If desired, sprinkle with suggested toppings. Fantastic served with Instant Pressure Pot Butter Chicken.